8 Day Venice, Florence & Rome Trip
8 Days | 7 Nights
Tour Code: K100 – First Class Hotels – 7 Nights / 12 Meals
- Saint Mark’s Square
- Walking Tours of Venice, Florence, Assisi & Rome
- Venetian Glass Blowing
- Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Michelangelo’s David in Florence
- Vatican Museums with Sistine Chapel & St. Peter’s Basilica
- Roman Forum & Colosseum
Day 1: Sun: Arrival in Venice & Transfer by Water Taxi
Land at Venice’s Marco Polo Airport, collect your luggage and pass through customs inspection. Your tour escort will meet you at the exit from customs and accompany you to a water taxi for a group transfer across the lagoon to your hotel. This is a wonderful introduction to a city built on water! After checking in to your hotel you are free for the remainder of the day. In the evening get together with your tour director and fellow travelers to discuss your vacation and then enjoy a welcome dinner.
Day 2: Mon: Doges’ Palace & Saint Mark’s Square
This morning start your walking tour of Venice at Saint Mark’s Square. Visit St. Mark’s Basilica, consecrated in 1094 and decorated to reflect the Venetian Republic’s maritime and commercial power. Visit the elaborate Doges’ Palace, a rare example of civil Venetian Gothic architecture. See impressive state rooms with Renaissance paintings by Titian, Veronese and Tintoretto. Cross the Bridge of Sighs, linking the Palace with the Piombi Prisons. Also visit a factory to see a demonstration of traditional Venetian glass blowing. The balance of the day is free to explore Venice on your own. You may like to take an independent gondola or a vaporetto ride through enchanting canals.
Day 3: Tue: Pisa’s Leaning Tower & Cathedral
Travel by motor coach through the Emilia Romagna region, which is renowned for its delicious foodstuffs, and take a brief orientation tour of its capital, Ferrara. In Pisa head to the Piazza dei Miracoli to see the iconic Bell or Leaning Tower, the Baptistery, the Cathedral and the Monumental Churchyard. Builders started the Bell Tower in 1174 but stopped work as it sank into the ground and it was completed a century later. The magnificent Romanesque cathedral, begun in 1063 and finished in the 13th century, reflects the great wealth of the merchants of Pisa. Arrive in Florence, an imposing city of old stone located on the River Arno. After checking into your hotel, relax a little before joining your group for dinner.
Day 4: Wed: Florence Cathedral & “David”
Take a half-day sightseeing walking tour of The Colosseum, Rome Florence, a city of artistic wealth and beauty where there are countless treasures to discover. Begin your visit in the town center at the majestic Piazza Del Duomo to see the delicately patterned green, white and pink cathedral crowned by Brunelleschi’s dome. See the Campanile, Giotto’s Bell Tower, dating from 1359. The 11th century Baptistery is one of the oldest buildings in Florence and famous for its exquisite bronze doors by Ghiberti. Then walk to the Academy of Fine Arts, which was founded in 1563. Here see Michelangelo’s superb “David” and many of the master’s unfinished works. The afternoon and evening are free for independent sightseeing, shopping and dining.
Day 5: Thu: Assisi & Rome
Leave Florence via the “Sun Route” through the beautiful countryside of Tuscany and Umbria to Assisi, a lovely town located on the slopes of Mount Subasio. Assisi is the birthplace of St. Francis and you will visit the Basilica built between 1228 and 1230 especially to hold his remains. See Giotto’s famous frescos of many Biblical scenes and see some of the houses, built from the local honey-colored stone. Continue your journey south into the metropolitan region of Rome to your hotel. Check in to your hotel and dine with your group this evening.
Day 6: Fri: The Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s Basilica & Ancient Rome
This morning experience a guided walk around the Vatican, the world’s smallest independent state, beginning at the Corte della Pigna with an overview of the history of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. See the Hall of Tapestries and the Maps Gallery but the highlight of the tour will be the Sistine Chapel, where the ceiling is covered with Michelangelo’s famous paintings of the “Creation” and “Last Judgment.” Walk across St. Peter’s Square to enter St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest church in Christendom, to see the famed “Pieta” by Michelangelo and many other treasures including the golden mosaics of the apse. Lunch is included today and afterwards visit the ancient part of Rome. Visit the imposing Colosseum to admire the huge walls of this iconic monument, built by Emperor Vespasian and opened in 80 AD. It was designed to hold 70,000 spectators with four floors, completely covered in travertine slabs and decorated with huge statues. Walk through the Roman Forum and all its ancient monuments and buildings, including the triumphal Arch of Constantine and the Arch of Titus.
Day 7: Sat: Free Day in Rome
Today you have a full day free in spectacular Rome. Your tour director will have suggestions on how to spend your time. You might want to visit some of the wonderful shops, galleries and museums, or relax in a sidewalk café – there are plenty of things to do and see, depending on your interests. Tonight, a farewell dinner with your fellow travelers will provide a perfect way to celebrate your glimpse of Italy.
Day 8: Sun: Depart Rome
This morning it’s time to say ‘arrivederci!’ to Rome and Italy. Transfer to the airport in good time to check in for your flight back to the United States.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
Stay at the following (or similar)
- Carlton on the Grand Canal – Venice (2 nights)
- Croce di Malta – Florence (2 nights)
- Best Western Hotel Universo -Rome (3 nights)
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure – by water taxi in Venice and by coach or car in Rome
- Transportation by private deluxe air-conditioned motor coach from Venice departure until arrival in Rome
- Professional English-speaking tour director
- First class hotels with private bath/shower for 7 nights
- 7 breakfast (B)
- 4 set dinners (D) either in hotels or local restaurants including a welcome dinner in Venice and a farewell dinner in Rome
- Lunch at a Roman restaurant (L)
- Half-day walking tours of Venice, Pisa, Florence, Assisi & Rome with local guides
- Glassblowing demonstration in Venice
- Guided tour of Vatican Museums with the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
- Visits and admissions to Doges’ Palace, St. Mark’s Basilica, Academy of Fine Arts, Basilica of St. Francis, Roman Forum and Colosseum
- Outside views of Florence Cathedral & Baptistery
- Headsets for easy hearing on all tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
B: Breakfast, L: Lunch, D: Dinner
Start Venice End Rome
- Sun Apr 19, 2015 Sun Apr 26, 2015 $1706
- Sun May 3, 2015 Sun May 10, 2015 $1706
- Sun Jun 7, 2015 Sun Jun 14, 2015 $1768
- Sun Jun 21, 2015 Sun Jun 28, 2015 $1768
- Sun Jul 12, 2015 Sun Jul 19, 2015 $1639
- Sun Jul 26, 2015 Sun Aug 2, 2015 $1639
- Sun Aug 9, 2015 Sun Aug 16, 2015 $1739
- Sun Aug 23, 2015 Sun Aug 30, 2015 $1739
- Sun Sep 6, 2015 Sun Sep 13, 2015 $1768
- Sun Sep 20, 2015 Sun Sep 27, 2015 $1768
- Sun Oct 11, 2015 Sun Oct 18, 2015 $1768
- Sun Oct 25, 2015 Sun Nov 1, 2015 $1768
- Sun Nov 8, 2015 Sun Nov 15, 2015 $1504
Single room supplement: $502
The above prices are land only and per person sharing a twin room